What is polycarbonate?
Polycarbonate is a very special and unique polymer. The properties that differentiate this polymer from other thermoplastic resins are inherent toughness, transparency, clarity, broad temperature resistance, good electrical properties, and high index of refraction.
What is the impact strength of polycarbonate?
Polycarbonate is almost unbreakable. For instance 3 mm solid polycarbonate sheet withstands 4 kg ball dropped from a height of 9.5 m, 3 times in a row, and it does not break or shatter. So, for this reason, polycarbonate is used for police riot shields, ice-hockey rinks, airplane windows, and all applications that require extreme impact resistance.
What is the advantage of using polycarbonate compared to glass?
If we’re talking about solid sheets, having the matching clarity and transparency just like glass, yet with 250 times higher impact strength and more than half the weight of glass per square meter for the same sheet thickness, the use of polycarbonate will save your structure cost and provides ease of installation while performing the same purpose.
What is polycarbonate used for?
- Electronic applications
- Construction materials (roofing, skylight, greenhouse, sound walls, flat or curved glazing, solar dryer dome)
- Data storage (compact discs, DVDs, Blu-rays)
- Security Components (bullet-proof products)
- Mostly engineering
- Advertising (signs, displays, posters)
- Eye Protection (lenses, visors, goggles)
- Windscreens (on motorcycles, golf carts, planes, helicopters)
- Medical Applications
- Instrument Panels
How can I cut polycarbonate?
You can cut polycarbonate with a fine tooth circular saw or hand saw. Ensure to support the sheet close to the cut and hold it firmly to prevent stress and vibration. If you cut multiwall polycarbonate, you can remove the dust from the sheet using a vacuum cleaner or dry compressed air.
Why use polycarbonate?
Advantages of polycarbonate:
- Reduce heat without sacrificing light transmission
- Absorbs almost 100% of sunlight UV radiation
- Natural lighting, electricity and energy saving
- 250 times stronger than glass and 20 times stronger than acrylic
- Very light, very strong and virtually unbreakable
- Highly durable
- Withstand temperature changes from -20°C to 120°C
- Ability to undergo large plastic deformations
- Easy to mold
What is polycarbonate roofing?
Polycarbonate was chosen as a glass replacement roofing material that is very good and resistant in various weather conditions. Often applied as a skylight roof.
For you who are looking for transparent roofing material, consider the following advantages of polycarbonate compared to other roofing materials.
Mengenal Atap Polycarbonate, Atap Transparan dengan Berbagai Kelebihan